When you think “Thailand” you probably imagine secluded beaches, long tail boats, exotic experiences… everything this photo captures. But after living here for 3 years, I’ve learned there is more to Thailand than that. It is simple yet complicated, relaxing yet stressful and beautiful yet disorganized. It is unlike any other.
There is A LOT of history and culture to learn and write about, and honestly too much for a blog. But here are a few simple, fun facts about Thailand:
- The name of Thailand is Prathet Thai, which means “land of the free.” As a US citizen, I thought I lived in the land of the free…until I moved here. With very little government reinforcement and regulation, and I’ve only seen one police officer, EVER…. Thailand is truly a free country.
- Bangkok’s real name: Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasi. Making it the longest name of a place in the world. It is of Pali and Sanskrit words meaning “City of Angels, Great City of Immortals, Magnificent City of the Nine Gems, Seat of the King, City of Royal Palaces, Home of Gods Incarnate, Erected by Visvakarman at Indra’s Behest.”
- Touching someone’s head is a no-no! The head is considered the most important part of the body, and to touch one’s head is extremely offensive.
- Home to 35 venomous snakes. The deadliest being the King Cobra.
- Also known as , The Land of Smiles.
- Home of Red Bull. Yes, Red Bull is actually from Thailand. Over the years, the originator sold it and has been altered to suit Western consumers.
- Thailand has approx 1,430 islands.
Here are some can’t-miss destinations in Thailand: